WHHHHHYYYYYYY DO YOU POST THINGS LIKE THAT ABOUT KILLING CHARACTERS????? I'M TIRED OF WRITERS KILLING CHARACTERS FOR SHOCK VALUE. JUST STOP IT!!!! WRITERS SAY THEY DON'T "OWE" US BUT WE BUY YOUR BOOKS AND LOVE YOUR CHARACTERS. IF YOU RUIN THE END OF YOUR SERIES, YOU'RE GOING TO HAVE A LOT OF ANGRY PEOPLE TO DEAL WITH STARTING WITH ME. SORRY IF THIS SOUNDS MEAN BUT JUST STOP!!!
I’m assuming this is in response to the author q&a I posted the other day—though I’m not sure what I said to put you in FULL CAPS LOCK MODE. Then again, I’ve been getting messages like this quite a bit lately. I don’t usually respond to them, because it doesn’t seem like there’s much point, but oh why not, imma try.
1. I’m grateful for every reader, and as a reader myself, I know what it is to invest in a character, a ship, a world. You have every right to love or hate a story on your own terms and to be vocal about it.
2. Authors have the right to take their stories wherever they see fit.
3. The final book in a series is always tough and there is no conclusion that will make everyone happy.
4. Even if there were, trust me when I say this: You don’t want authors spending their time trying to make everyone happy. That’s how you get boring books. Scared artists make bad art.
5. I’m going to have you to deal with? Really? Tell ya what…
The ending you hate may be the ending someone else loves.
The ending you hate may be the only one that lets the author sleep at night.
And more importantly, the idea of threatening or bullying anyone into to giving you what you want—online or offline—is gross.
I just learned today that The Search Part 1 is on the voting list for Goodreads best of 2013 in the graphic novels category. The writer, Gene Yang, is competing with himself — his graphic novel Boxers & Saints is also nominated. Head over there and vote!